The general manager of the Vegas Golden Knights offered an explanation on Tuesday for why he has not yet permitted other teams to speak with former head coach Bruce Cassidy.
“Teams have asked for permission to speak with Bruce. We’ve been consistent that our focus currently is on the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and the teams have respected that,” McCrimmon said in a prepared statement, according to Sportsnet’s Eric Francis. “I’ve spoken with Bruce, he understands this as well.”
The Golden Knights fired Cassidy in late March and replaced him with John Tortorella. Per league rules, the Golden Knights remain on the hook for the final year of Cassidy’s contract, so other teams interested in hiring him must first receive written permission.
Last week, NHL insider Frank Seravalli reported that the Edmonton Oilers had reached out to the Golden Knights for permission but that it had not yet been granted. The Oilers had not yet fired head coach Kris Knoblauch at the time of Seravalli’s reporting, but did part ways with him later in the week.
Earlier Tuesday, the NHL Coaches’ Association released a statement that said denying Cassidy permission to seek employment elsewhere would be “unprecedented.”
“While we respect the league’s rules and processes, it is our position that coaches who remain under contract, but are no longer working for their club, should not be prevented from pursuing other employment opportunities,” the statement said. “It would be unprecedented at the head-coaching level should multiple teams be denied permission to speak with Coach Cassidy. The situation is still unfolding, but our priority is to protect the interests of our members in this type of circumstance.”
Fallout from skipping media obligations
In his prepared statement on Tuesday, McCrimmon also addressed how his team handled post-game media availabilities after last week’s series-clinching win over the Anaheim Ducks. On that night, the Golden Knights did not open their dressing room to reporters or make Tortorella available at the podium.
In response, the NHL fined Tortorella $100,000 and docked the Golden Knights a second-round pick in this June’s NHL Draft. The team met with the NHL in New York earlier Tuesday to appeal, but the punishment was upheld.
“We were today in New York, where we had a hearing with the National Hockey League regarding the events following Game 6. We missed a great opportunity that night to connect with our fans and share with them the victory of a playoff series. I’ve always felt in a playoff series, when you win a series, you galvanize the bond with your fan base. We missed that opportunity by not having John available to do post-game. That’s on John for failing to do that. That’s on me as a general manager of the hockey club,” McCrimmon said.
“That’s not at the feet of our comms people, who made other arrangements with each of you to accommodate tight quarters in and around our dressing room post-game.
“We have no explanation other than to say we were wrong and to assure you that it will not happen again. The league has spoken on the matter. We have spoken on the matter. Neither John or I will be taking any questions on this.”
The Golden Knights open the Western Conference Final on Wednesday in Denver against the Avalanche.