The NHL Coaches’ Association is stepping up for one of its own.
The association said in a statement Tuesday that it has been “closely monitoring” the situation involving former Vegas Golden Knights head coach Bruce Cassidy.
Last week, it was reported that the Golden Knights withheld permission for the Edmonton Oilers to interview Cassidy for their head coaching vacancy.
Cassidy was shockingly fired by the Golden Knights in late March, just weeks before the playoffs, and replaced by John Tortorella.
“While we respect the League’s rules and processes, it is our position that coaches who remain under contract, but are no longer working for their Club, should not be prevented from pursuing other employment opportunities,” The NHLCA said.
“It would be unprecedented at the head coaching level should multiple teams be denied permission to speak with Coach Cassidy. The situation is still unfolding, but our priority is to protect the interests of our members in this type of circumstance.”
Cassidy, a 60-year-old Ottawa native, led the Golden Knights to the Cup in 2023. He was the longest-tenured coach in Vegas history, going 178-99-43 over four seasons.
“I would’ve liked to see it through. … We’d won once before, so we knew what it looked like to win,” Cassidy said in April. “We were a first- or second-place team most of the year — I felt we would’ve got in (to playoffs). I don’t know where we would’ve finished at the end, that’s speculation, but yes, I would’ve loved to have had the opportunity. But didn’t work out that way, so you start thinking about your next challenge.”