Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan has hit back at reports suggesting that he is unwilling to partake in a mediation session in relation to an ongoing AFL investigation into historic allegations against him.
Fagan and former Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson are being investigated over allegations into their conduct during their tenure with the Hawks, with the league probe showing no sign of being completed any time soon.
The allegations were first levelled at Fagan, Clarkson and former Hawks football boss Jason Burt in an ABC report in the days leading up to the 2022 AFL grand final.
READ MORE: ‘Surprised’ Cornes reacts to Hardwick whack
READ MORE: Adam Scott’s ‘impossible’ bogey after 32m tee shot
READ MORE: Boxing stunned as Aussie ‘robbed’ in Mexico
Fagan took aim at a number of reports, saying they contained “a number of inaccurate and highly inappropriate comments” in a statement on Sunday afternoon.
“I have never said that I would not participate in a mediation,” Fagan’s statement read.
“I am giving consideration to attending a mediation. I am willing to consider doing so in good faith with a view to arriving at a consensual resolution, if that is possible.
“I expect, however, that other potential participants will also approach a potential mediation with good faith.”
Fagan particularly took offence to a Herald Sun report from May 5 which stated that “18 demands” had been asked of he, Clarkson and Burt by the lawyer representing the families making the allegations against the trio, Leon Zwier.
“No such ‘demands’ have ever been communicated to me or my lawyers,” he said.
“It would be a matter of concern to me if the report concerning these demands is accurate, as my understanding is that it would be completely contrary to normal practice concerning mediation for a party, or his or her lawyer, to make demands of this kind as a condition of the mediation being held.
“I wish to make it very clear that I will not be attending a mediation on the basis that I accept any of the 18 supposed demands.
“As I have said from the outset, I deny categorically any wrongdoing by me.
“I have been involved in football coaching or other roles within football clubs for approximately 40 years. I am proud of my work and my conduct. I stand by it.
“I have long been willing to participate in a fair process concerning the allegations against me but everyone has an equal right to fair treatment.
“I wish no more, and no less, than to be afforded this right.”
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!
The biggest controversies in AFL history